Many community organizations are active in partnering to make Belmont a vibrant and supportive community.
In 1727 Belmont was originally chartered as part of Gilmanton and eventually became Upper Gilmanton in 1859. The name of the town was changed to "Belmont" in 1869 and the Belmont Historical Society was formed 100 years later on the anniversary.
For four decades, Belmont Historical Society Members and friends have volunteered energy and time to preserving our special places and stories. Saving and adapting the Belmont Mill for a new community life is just one difference that the local Society has made.
Presentations are free and open to the public and refreshments provided. The facility is handicapped accessible.
Help keep Belmont's history alive and continue to bring historical programs to the community. Membership form. See more on the Belmont Historical Society Page.
On the evening of September 20, 1920 fifteen World War I veterans gathered in the old carriage house opposite St. Joseph's church and organized the Charles Kilborn Post #58 American Legion. Walter C. Harris was chosen the first post Commander. The post was named for Charles Cutting Kilborn, who died at Camp Yaphank, Long Island, NY on October 5, 1918, just four weeks to the day he left home. He was a native of Belmont and spent nearly all his life at his family's farm off Bean Hill Road (Richard Perry farm). See more on our Veterans, Service Members & Americanism page.
The largest community event is Old Home Day, held on the second Saturday in August. The day begins with a pancake breakfast and continues through a full day of parades, games, sports, music, great food and dancing, ending with a spectacular fireworks display.
The Belknap County 4-H Fairgrounds is the site of many summer activities including the Belknap County 4-H Fair, horse and livestock shows and auctions.
Belknap Fair History
It started as a field day that was held in 1943, where children could practice the fitting and showing of their dairy animals, helping them be more competitive at the Breed Shows and State Fairs. This was held at Walker’s Lombardy Farm on Parade Rd in Laconia. Led by the late Lillian Walker, her dream of a 4-H Fair, and having the support of merchants, friends and others who shared the dream, the next step was the "4-H Food for Victory Fair” at Opechee Park.
War Bonds and stamps for the World War II war effort were sold at the fair and state-wide, and in 1944 enough money was raised to purchase Nine training aircraft for the Army Air Corps (Two from Belknap County). Col. Harrison Thyng, the first of our war heroes to return home, flew his Thunderbird to Laconia, landing at the airport and representing the armed Forces, dedicated the plane and spent the day at the Fair.
After World War II, the fair moved to the Belknap County Recreation Area, returning to Opechee Park in 1950 where it was held until it moved to the former Royal Smith Farm on Mile Hill Rd in 1977. Over the years it has developed a reputation as a family-friendly fair, providing opportunities for young and old to make their debut in showing farm animals, home improvements and natural resource skills. Steeped in tradition, the Belknap County 4-H Fair remains the smallest of the recognized Agricultural Fairs in New Hampshire.
The Town Forest is a 65 acre parcel located between Laconia Road, Wildlife Blvd, Main Street and Seavey Road. Kurt Oberhausen placed benches within the Town Forest to earn his Eagle Scout honor.
Tom Hayes' Eagle Scout Project Extends Accessible Trail in the Jeff Marden Town Forest Article and Pictures Daily Sun 11/18/16
Once the lot was constructed, local Girl Scout Jenn Ferguson, constructed a new message board as her Gold Award project. The sign provides the Town with the opportunity to post important community news along this busy highway.
Sean Appleyard constructed a handicapped ramp to the Town Library to earn his Eagle Scout honor.
Belmont Library Receives a Ramp in Eagle Project Union Leader 5/21/98
Andrew Sanborn Farm Bird Houses & Duck Blinds 1996
Aspiring Eagle Scout Alvin Nix constructed Bird Houses and Duck Blinds for the Andrew Sanborn Farm conservation land